Week 2 2021

John Krause, for the last fifty years known as the potash king of Nebraska, died at Alliance, following injuries received from an explosion of gasoline.

Bushnell Record 28 Aug 1919


Rushville. Oct 5. —Albert Hill, 45, rancher near Gordon, Nebr., will go to trial here today for the slaying of Neal Oblennis, 25, a farm hand employed on a ranch near Gordon last July.

Hill confessed after Oblennis’s body was found in a shallow grave that he had shot and killed him during an altercation over alleged attention paid Hill’s wife by Oblennis.

Hill related his confession that he had discovered his wife and Oblennis in a compromising position after he had told them that he was going away from the ranch for two days; that a fight ensued, in which Oblennis was beaten, and that the latter ran to get a repeating gun, Hill then killing him in self defense.

Western Nebraska Observer 30 Oct 1926


Miss Edith Perry, aged seventeen, died at Morrill at three o’clock on last Friday morning, and George T. Thrasher, part owner of one of the Morrill pool halls, is charged with having caused her death. Two days before the girl’s death, Thrasher was caught by officers in the Sheep Creek country, whither he had fled when the girl’s condition turned critical. He was lodged in jail at Gering and bound over to the district court under $5,000 bond on the charge of rape. After the death, the charge was changed to murder and he was removed to Lincoln for safekeeping, as the feeling against him was running high and violence was feared.

Miss Perry’s parents live near Morrill, but she had been staying at the hotel in that place. She was a sister of Mrs. Joe Jones of Torrington, and was quite well known here. The funeral was held at Morrill Saturday afternoon and was very largely attended.

The Torrington Telegram 31 Aug 1911

Lester Kittering, who returned in June from France, was killed at Grand Island by the explosion of a bomb which he picked up on the battlefields of France and brought back with him as a trophy.

The Bushnell Record 11 Dec 1919





June 14, 1930

I am the cause of this myself do not blame nobody but me. I have been unlucky in everything, so good bye forever.

—Frank Wensky

Frank Wensky, age 31, prominent farmer of northwest of Kimball ended his life by shooting himself in the head at the George E. Evertson farm ten miles northwest of this city last Saturday night. The wound inflicted failed to cause instant death and the young man lingered in unconsciousness until 9:45 Sunday evening when he passed away at the Kimball hospital.


Wensky was found in the Evertson blacksmith shop on the farm by a farm hand who reported to Mrs. Evertson at the house. Word was phoned to the sheriff and coroner immediately. When the sheriff and coroner arrived at the farm they found him sitting in a chair in the shop. A twelve gauge shotgun was nearby. A portion of the left side of his skull had been torn away by the discharge of the gun. It is believed that in stooping over to pull the trigger of the gun, which was placed against his head with the butt down, the muzzle shifted to the left, resulting in the load of shot taking only a small part of the skull.

He was brought to Kimball and placed in the hospital where he passed at 9:45 Sunday evening, having never regained consciousness.

The above note, dated June 14th, was found in the pocket of his coat, which explains all that can be authentically reported relative to the cause for the act. For several years Wensky had been in partnership with George Evertson in certain farming operations. Much of his time was spent at the Evertson home during the summer months when the interests of the two were being cared for. For the past several months Mr. Evertson had noticed the he was irritable, falling in weight, and not of the congenial temperament formerly shown. Mr. Evertson had requested that he consult a physician concerning his health, Wensky stated that he intended to as soon as the busy season was over and turned the subject by saying it was due to extra work at this season.


The note found in the pocket was dated June 14th, while the tragedy occurred one week later. Possibly he erred in looking at the calendar or he may not have had the opportunity to perform the deed for another week after writing the note. Financial depression could not have been the cause as his business affairs were on first-class condition.


Mrs. Evertson was in Kimball the evening of the tragedy. Mr. Evertson was in Omaha with a shipment of cattle. Wensky told the family he intended to come to Kimball to attend a meeting of wheat growers held at the court house that evening. No further thought was given until he was found in the shop by the farm hand.


State of Nebraska )


Kimball County )

At an inquisition, Holden at Kimball in said county, on the 23rd day of June, A.D. 1930, before me, Orville C. Wisdom, ex-officio coroner of said county, upon the the body of Frank Wensky lying dead, by the jurors, whose names are hereto subscribed, the said jurors, upon their oath, do say that Frank Wensky attempted to commit suicide on the 21st day of June 1930, in Kimball county, and died at 9:45 p.m. June 22nd, 1930, from from said attempt from gun shot wounds.

In testimony whereof, the said jurors have set their hands the day and year aforesaid.

Ernest Linn, A. Painter, C.L. Waggoner, Guis Riesberg, W.N. Orcutt, A. Barrett.

Orville C. Wisdom,

County attorney ex-officio officer


Frank Wensky was born in Wisconsin on October 6, 1898 and passed away in Kimball, Nebraska, on June 22, 1930, aged 31 years, 8 months, and 16 days. He has been a resident of Kimball county since 1913, being engaged in farming the greater part of the time. The deceased served in the World war, receiving his honorable discharge in 1918. He was a member of Neely post No. 22 American Legion in Kimball.

Mr. Wensky leaves to mourn his death his father, eight brothers and three sisters, all residents of Kimball county with the exception of one brother, Joseph, who is in the United States marine corps in China.

Western Nebraska Observer 26 June 1930

INCENDIARISM-This afternoon, about three o’ clock, our citizens were startled by the terrible cry of fire. Flames were seen issuing from the roof of the Moore House, on Fifteenth street, whither hundreds of men rushed together with the fire companies. Although a large surface of the roof and front battlement was on fire, it was soon extinguished by aid of a force pump and hose from a well in front of an adjoining lot. Examination showed the fire began on the second floor, close to the siding of the house, and not near a stove. There is little doubt that it was the work of an incendiary. A property owner a little east of the Moore House, in the same row of buildings, some time since received an anonymous letter, in a disguised hand, advising him to secure all the insurance he could on his own building, intimating that the Moore House would be fired before long. This letter is in possession of the authorities, and may lead to the identification of the wretch who has taken this means of venting the most devilish of impulses.

Cheyenne Daily Leader 8 Sep 1870

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s