Last Thursday afternoon as Mrs. Ray E. Coad was busy about her house work she went to the west window in her kitchen to raise the lower sash, and in some manner the upper sash came down so quickly that both her hands were caught between the two. It was about fifteen minutes before anyone happened to pass whose attention could be called. Mrs. O.E. Kipp chanced to go into her backyard and Mrs. Coad called to her.
When Mrs. Kipp arrived at the door, however, the dog would not allow her to enter and she was forced to come down town to the Farmer’s Bank and get Mr. Coad to release his wife from her painful predicament.
When released, Mrs. Coad’s hands were badly swollen but aside from a few bruises were not seriously injured.
The Burns Herald (Burns, WY) 23 September 1920
News of a desperate fight, which occurred at Fort Fetterman the other day, has just reached this city. A saloon keeper named Bill Bacon and a cowboy known as J.B. Woods had a dispute in Bacon’s saloon. A fight resulted and Woods was terribly beaten. He was knocked down, his face, head and body were kicked and stamped upon and one eye was literally kicked off his head.
His injuries are said to be very serious and his recovery is by no means sure. Bacon is said to be not a little alarmed at the result of the fight, and from present indications his feelings are quite natural. The only excuse offered for the brutal affair is that both men were howling drunk.
The Democratic Leader (Cheyenne, WY) 2 April 1885
The people of town were shocked this Thursday morning to learn that Miss Lorinda Kelley, who has been employed for some months as a waitress at the Torrington hotel, had ended her life at four o’ clock this morning by drinking carbolic acid. She has apparently always been a young woman of good habits and a cheerful disposition, so that her action was a surprise to her friends.
She awoke Mrs. Briner, who is also employed at the hotel, at a little after four o’ clock and informed her of what she had done and then went back and lay down on her bed and immediately became unconscious. Mrs. Briner immediately summoned help from the other occupants of the hotel and a physician was called at once but to no avail. She died in about an hour without again becoming conscious.
Her parents at Guernsey were immediately notified and came down on the morning train. We understand the body will be taken to Guernsey for burial.
Goshen County Journal (Torrington, WY) 28 January 1915
PRAIRIE CHICKENS IN BUTTER
Keya Paha County Man Runs Against Game Law.
Bassett, Neb., Mar 16.— In a consignment of twelve tubs of alleged butter shipped by Heinrich Thomsen of Burton, Keya Paha county, to a firm in Chicago recently the station agent here discovered that one of his tubs contained prairie chickens. The agent immediately telegraphed to Game Warden Hyers at Lincoln and he came and took charge of the chickens and went over to Burton, where he found eleven more chickens in the possession of Thomsen, whom he immediately arrested. Thomsen pleaded guilty before Justice Klopton and paid a fine of $155.90 and costs.
Alliance Herald (Alliance, NE) 19 March 1908
Albert Lampitt, under sentence of life imprisonment for the murder last April of Harry Foight in a dynamite explosion at Grass Creek that killed Foight and Worley Seaton, and injured several others, spent a little better than 12 hours in the county jail at Cheyenne, en route to the state prison at Rawlins. Judge Walls, who defended Lampitt when he was charged with the murder of Dr. S. A. Ash ten years ago, was with the man for a short time in the county jail. He agrees with all others who came in contact with him that Lampitt is still unruffled, as he was during trial and sentence.
The Torrington Telegram (Torrington, WY) 23 February 1922
SCOTTSBLUFF BOY IS FATALLY WOUNDED BY RIFLE BULLET
Edwin Stopple, 19-year-old Scottsbluff farm youth, died last evening at 8:15 from a bullet in his chest suffered a half-hour before when a .22 caliber rifle accidentally discharged while the hands of a friend, Pete Loos.
Rushed over nine miles to town in quest of medical aid, young Stopple died a few minutes after arriving at the Methodist hospital.
The victim of the tragic accident is the son of Mr. and Mrs. David Stopple, living a mile due north of the city, had with a basket of eggs to the home of Casper Ginther, who lives nine miles north, and a half mile west of Scottsbluff, and who is the father-in-law of young Loos.
The family was eating supper when he arrived and after the meal had been completed, Loos asked him if he wanted to buy a gun. Edwin replied that he did but wanted first to see it, so was taken into the front room where he seated himself in a chair.
Loos stated that he was absolutely certain that the rifle, which holds 15 cartridges, was empty, drew back the ejector to show its action, and then threw it forward again. As he did so, the gun was discharged.
Edwin choked, rose to his feet, it was stated, walked a few steps forward and collapsed.
Dr. E.J. Mitchell, who examined him at the Methodist hospital, stated that it was his opinion that the bullet went between the upper part of the youth’s heart.
The deceased had lived in this section for the past 14 years, or more. Until the past three years, his home had been in Scottsbluff, where he received most of his education. He was born March 31, 1911 at Wakeena (sic), Kansas, and was 19 years and 21 days of age.
Besides his parents, Mr. and Mrs. David Stopple, he is survived by two brothers, Edward and Elmer, both living at home and a number of other relatives and friends to whom his sudden death is a distinct shock.
Western Nebraska Observer (Kimball, NE) 24 April 1930