Mrs. Arthur Elliott, of Minatare, died in a Denver hospital last week following a long illness. Her husband died only a few months ago from eating peanuts that had become mixed with rat poison.
Western Nebraska Observer (Kimball, NE) 11 Dec 1924
Miss May Bushee, of Guide Rock, suffered a most terrible death one day last week. As her brother was going upstairs to bed he fell from the stairway, breaking the lamp he carried and setting fire to the carpet in the hallway. Neither of the parents were in the house at the time and Miss May went bravely to her brother’s rescue and attempted to extinguish the flames. In doing this her clothing caught fire, and becoming panic stricken, she ran screaming in to the street. Her screams brought a number of people to their doors, among them W. A. Seely, who stopped her at his house and with the greatest difficulty succeeded in putting out the flames, burning his own hands so severely as to be unable to do any work since. By this time a number of others had arrived and she was carried to her home, but so severely inquired was she that recovery was impossible.
Cherry County Independent (Valentine, NE) 8 Dec 1892
Geo. Kiersacker, better known in Sidney as old “Snapps” was on one of his tears last Saturday and as a consequence his wagon is scattered along the road from Sidney home; one wheel not even having one spoke left; the horses arrived at Chris Jurgen’s Sunday morning with only a few pieces of harness left on them and a few hours later old Snapps came along, gloriously drunk but still in the ring. Kiersacker is a brute to his animals in the full sense of the word, often leaving his horses on a barb wire picket rope under a burning sun without water and his pigs in the pen in the same condition for several days, or till some of the neighbors turn them loose, and it has often been hoped that he will break his neck while on one of his tears.
Sidney Telegraph (Sidney, NE) 11 August 1900
No Need To Watch Horseradish
The cultivation of horseradish is a thriving industry, a writer in the Country Gentleman says, and he describes a three-acre farm devoted to this industry which keeps two men busy, one of them making good money out of his miniature farm. One advantage of this crop is thus described: “The horseradish farmer can well lie back and rest in easy security, for he has a crop that only insects with suicidal motives attack.”
Goshen County Journal (Torrington, WY) 2 Apr 1914
John A. Gregory of Alliance, 50, committed suicide by hanging himself with a halter attached to a ladder in the barn on the Kilpatrick ranch 25 miles west of Alliance, where he was employed as a ranch hand.
The Bushnell Record, (Bushnell, NE) 12 May 1921
Drank Carbolic Acid
Girl in the West End Was Desperately Weary of Life
Mabel Goodrich, an inmate at May Day’s, corner Eighteenth and Bent, tried to kill herself last night. She took a big drink from six-ounce vial of carbolic acid. But a small amount of the fluid reached her stomach. Some of it touched her face and left burns and her mouth and throat were raw. Dr. Marston was called and administered glycerin, soap suds, and other antidotes.
The girl had been drinking. About 11 she asked another girl to write a letter to Mrs. Goodrich in Denver, telling that her daughter had suicided at Cheyenne. The friends protested and argued, but the dispirited girl declared she was tired of life and would end it. She retired to her room and in a few minutes was found in spasms. She is young and decidedly pretty.
At midnight the physician said the girl was entirely out of danger.
The Cheyenne Daily Sun (Cheyenne, WY) 28 Sep 1892