WEEK 35 2021

Deadwood Pioneer: “The man recently killed by mail contractor J. Maxwell, at Little Missouri station, the particulars which were at the time not obtainable, was a deserter from Fort Mead, who went on the road to practice highway robbery. His first attempt was upon Mr. Maxwell, who, anticipating something of the kind, was prepared and shot the deserter dead in his tracks, then proceeded to Miles City and surrendered to the authorities.”

Cheyenne Weekly Leader (Cheyenne, WY) 4 Mar 1880

On last Sunday the people of Morrill were shocked by an awful tragedy being committed there.

C. C. Hewson, a barber who lived at Mitchell, went to the home of his mother-in-law, Mrs. Jenkinson, just as they were eating dinner, and after talking for a few minutes, pulled a revolver and shot his wife through the head. He then shot Mrs. Jenkinson through the neck, killing her instantly. He then turned and shot his wife twice more, once through the head and once through the hand. Just at this moment Leland Jenkinson, a fourteen year old boy, came into the room and was shot through the neck, after which Hewson turned the revolver upon himself and sent a bullet crashing through his own brain, dying instantly.

Mrs. Hewson is still alive, and has a chance to recover, although wounded seriously. Leland Jenkinson was only slightly wounded and is up and around.

The Hewsons have had trouble before and a short time ago Mrs. Hewson left her husband and came to Morrill to live with her mother and it was upon her refusal to return home that he committed the awful crime.

The Torrington Telegram (Torrington, WY) 27 Apr 1911


Schuyler, Neb., The mutilated body of Miss Louise Mick, the 18-year-old girl dragged under sensational circumstances from her home here, was found in a cornfield north of this city and Frank Heldt, an ex-convict, was arrested as suspected slayer.

The body of Miss Mick was discovered by posses scouring the country in search of the kidnapped girl. The young woman had been outraged and then beaten to death by repeated blows over the head with a heavy, clublike instrument. When found the body was clothed only in a nightdress and coat belonging to Mrs. Mary Mick, the mother. A knot had been tied in the hair, and the death club was twisted in it like a tourniquet. Efforts had been made by the murderer to conceal the body in a crude grave.

An hour previous to the discovery of the body, Schuyler, restless after a night of fruitless search, had been awakened by the ring of the town fire alarm. George Wilch, liveryman, had captured Frank Heldt, an ex-convict, in a cornfield near the spot where the body was later found, and after a struggle brought him to town. In Heldt’s pockets was the money taken from the Mick home and his clothing was stained with blood. The sheriff immediately hurried Heldt to Columbus for safe-keeping. The prisoner has already served one term in the Nebraska penitentiary, it is alleged.

The Review (Potter, NE) 14 Aug 1914

Willie Crandall, 17 years old, son of E. Crandall of Ainsworth, was shot with a shotgun while out riding in a cart. There was a hole in the bottom of the cart and the gun slipped through breech downward, and was discharged while he was trying to pull it back through the hole. Part of his collar bone was shot away. There is hope of his recovery.

The People’s Poniard (Sidney, NE) 26 Jun 1897


Charlie Hotchkiss, Aged Eleven, the Victim of a Sad Fate.

His Bruised and Mutilated Remains Discovered Lying on the Prairie by Anxious Searchers
A Sad Accident.

One of the saddest accidents that has occurred in this county for many years happened Thursday morning near the home of Orville Hotchkiss living about six miles northeast of this city. Early in the morning Charlie, the eleven year old son of Mr. Hotchkiss, started on horse to watch a herd of cattle not far from the house. At noon he did not return, and, the family becoming anxious about the boy, a search was instituted. The horse was seen on a neighboring hill, uneasily circling around some object. Nearer approach revealed the fact that the object was the body of the boy, mutilated and bruised beyond recognition.

When he left home in the morning one end of a rope about twenty-five feet long was tied around the horse’s neck, and the remainder the boy had thrown in a coil about his left arm. He had apparently fallen or been thrown from the horse soon after leaving the house, the rope had become tangled around his wrist, and not being able to extricate himself, he had been dragged to a horrible death. When found he must have been dead several hours as his body had been dragged over the prairie until the head was completely denuded of flesh, and the face and other parts of the body were frightfully torn and bruised.

Word was immediately brought to town by the neighbors and Coroner Birney and Doctor Cotter started for the scene of the accident. The coroner decided that an inquest was unnecessary. Relatives and friends were telegraphed for by the parents and the funeral was held at 11 o’clock yesterday morning.

The Sidney Telegraph (Sidney, NE) 15 Jun 1889

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s