WEEK 37 2021

Fourteen persons have died in or near Cheyenne of Spanish influenza or complications caused by this disease, according to reports furnished by Cheyenne undertakers and embalmers, in a week.

The Dwyer Herald (Dwyer, WY) Friday, November 29th, 1918

During a thunderstorm at Monroe last week, a telephone girl received a shock while answering a call that nearly cost her her life. Her face was seriously burned, and she was partially paralyzed.

The Sidney Telegraph (Sidney, NE) Saturday, August 6th, 1904


Daniel Thompson, brakeman employed on the Newcastle-Cambria line, was crushed to death between two cars at Cambria when he attempted to frighten a cow off the track.

The Laramie County Times (Wheatland, WY) Friday, November 12th, 1912

Asa Kenoyer, employed by city engineer Spitzhart, is heartily in favor of changing the sign “2300 Volts” as he now says he realizes that there is that many jolts in the high tension lines in Potter. Monday evening about quitting time he was wiring a street light and got hold of the high tension wires instead of the 110 volt wires. He was up on a pole near the F. J. Grand blacksmith shop and had scraped the insulation off of one wire and was preparing to do the same with the other one when he received the shock. Had he not had his spikes firmly embedded in the pole, and if he had not been strapped to the pole, he would have fallen as the shock which he got in his left hand paralyzed him temporarily. He called for assistance and was taken down the pole by means of a ladder. This week he is nursing a badly burned hand. Asa says he didn’t count the jolts but states that he will not repudiate anyone that says there was 2300 of them.

The Potter Review (Potter, NE) March 26th, 1920

Gus Bachus, a prominent German farmer living three miles east of Osmond, was found in the road by a neighbor, R. B. Severns. He was unconscious and in a most critical condition, the blood coming from his nose and ears, and he will probably die. The cause of his condition is not known.

The Western Nebraska Observer (Kimball, NE) Thursday, February 2nd, 1899

Mrs. Ella Block, 101 Cheyenne Avenue, and three-year-old daughter, Anna May, are confined to their home with serious injuries, Norris Field suffered severe bruises and a broken collar bone, and Ted Fielding was badly bruised about the head when the automobile in which they were riding skidded and turned over twice while going up a hill three miles southwest of Hay Springs about 12:15 p. m. Tuesday. A. J. Fox, the other occupant of the car, was not seriously hurt, a bruised shoulder being the extent of his injuries.

The car turned completely over twice, Norris Fielding being thrown out the car the first time it went over. Mrs. Block was thrown through the windshield, and when the car finally came to a standstill, was held facedown in the road, the left front door of the car resting heavily on her back. Fox, who was riding in the tonneau and holding the baby on his lap, was pinned under the car above the child. Ted Fielding was also under the wreckage, but managed to escape through a hole in the top. He helped Fox, who was unable to move for fear of hurting the child, and the two of them rescued the baby, whose head was underneath the framework of the car.

Mrs. Block was pinned down, with the framework of the car resting across her back. The two men were unable to raise it, and relieved her suffering as much as possible by holding up one side of the car until assistance arrived. It was twenty minutes before another car came along, and the occupants of this together with Fox and Ted Fielding succeeded in extricating Mrs. Block from the wreckage. The injured were taken to Hay Springs, where they received medical attention. Wednesday morning the Darling ambulance went over to Hay Springs and brought back the injured. They were taken to their home here.

The party left Alliance about 10 o’clock in the morning for Gordon, where they planned to spend the day at the fair. The accident came shortly after noon. Mrs. Block was driving, and had speeded downhill in an effort to make the hill more easily. The car was going at a speed of thirty-five to forty miles an hour. The wheels were evidently in deep ruts, and Mrs. Block evidently was trying to get them out. She succeeded in getting the front wheels clear of the rut, but the hind wheels remained, and in an effort by the driver to right the car, a sudden twist was given to the wheel. The car plunged to the side of the road and turned completely over two times.

For a time it was feared that neither Mrs. Block nor her daughter had any chance for recovery, but two medical examinations have disclosed that no bones were broken. Mrs. Block’s corset undoubtedly saved her back from being crushed. The steel stays were broken where the car frame struck them. The baby remained unconscious for nearly twenty-four hours, but showed signs of regaining consciousness Thursday afternoon. The physician in attendance states that both of them have an even chance for recovery.

The Alliance Herald (Alliance, NE) Friday, September 10th, 1920

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s