WEEK 41 2021

Boulder.—Determined to die, yet unable to bear the thought of separation from the four of her six children whom she loved the most, Mrs. William A. Nelson, 35 years old, living on a ranch two and a half miles east of here, hanged two of them with rags around their necks from the hooks in a clothes closet, tried to strangle her three-months-old baby by knotting a cloth around its throat, shot her oldest daughter in the back, and then turned the revolver on herself, sending the bullet through her heart.

The Hillsdale Review (Hillsdale, WY) Thursday, March 29th, 1917

Yesterday afternoon Patrick Merne, the ten-year-old son of David Merne, who lives at the corner of O’Neill and Twelfth streets, met with an extremely unfortunate and painful accident. The little fellow was with William Johnson at the home of the latter and had in his hand what appeared to be an old blast cartridge, which, from dust and age, seemed harmless, but proved a lively instrument of destruction immediately after Mr. Johnson had examined it, as the child commenced to pick at it with a pieced of wire, causing it to explode in his left hand, tearing the thumb off at the knuckle, index finger at the hand, and the second finger at the first joint, and destroying more or less of the fleshy part of the hand between the thumb and forefinger. The little fellow showed wonderful nerve and fortitude, and after being brought to Dr. Wyman’s office by Mr. Johnson, quietly related the incident without having evidenced a sign of pain.

The fingers were amputated and wounds dressed by the surgeon after the little fellow had been placed under chloroform.

The Cheyenne Weekly Sun (Cheyenne, WY) Sunday, June 27th, 1889

Egbert.—Matt Wagner, little son of Mr. and Mrs. Wm. Wagner, met with a painful accident Saturday while playing in the store basement. His right thumb was almost severed from the hand by a cheese cutter. He was rushed to Pine Bluffs for professional aid. For a time it was feared the accident might prove fatal owing to the loss of blood from a severed artery, but the danger point is passed and the little fellow is recovering nicely.

The Burns Herald (Burns, WY) Thursday, February 12th, 1920


Fifty Cheyenne people viewed the remains at the Gleason chapel of the young man who met death in the local Union Pacific yards, but his identity still remains a mystery.

The Goshen County Journal (Torrington, WY) Thursday, July 16th, 1914

Dies From Burns

Mrs. Edward Schober died at Columbus, Nebraska, as the result of burns she suffered all over her body as she attempted to lift a pan from the stove Sunday morning. She had taken the corner of her apron in her hand to remove the kettle from the stove. The cloth took fire as it touched the flame of the stove and spread with such rapidity that her efforts to jerk off the apron proved in vain. She ran out of the house but before neighbors could come to her assistance her clothing had been completely burned and the flesh so charred that death resulted. Funeral services will be held at St. Bonaventure’s church Wednesday morning at 9 o’clock with burial in the Catholic cemetery. —State Journal.

The Telegraph (Sidney, NE) Friday, October 6th, 1922


Mutilated Body Found In Hay Manger By Children Playing In Cheyenne

Cheyenne, Wyo., July 24.—Harry Noll, 12 years old, who until Wednesday was employed, with his mother, by a carnival company now in Rawlins, was found dead, his head terribly crushed, in a vacated barn in the rear of 1600 Bent Street shortly after noon today. That the boy was murdered is the belief expressed by Sheriff F. George of Laramie county, Wyoming, who said the lad had been beaten on the head with a heavy iron bar.

Young Noll was last seen early Thursday morning, the day following his leaving the carnival company. At this time, according to Sheriff George, he had less than a dollar on his person. Nothing of value was found on the body when it was recovered.

Children Found Body

The murdered youth was found by James McFarland, 11 years old, who, with a number of youths in the neighborhood, had been playing about the deserted barn. The boy’s mutilated form was discovered beneath a pile of trash in a hay manger.

Sheriff George with Police Chief Charles F. Embry of Cheyenne is conducting an exhaustive investigation with a view to making early arrests. City Detectives Percy Clemmons, James Maxwell, and James Brick of the Denver police force were ordered to join the Laramie county, Wyoming, authorities in making the investigation.

Finger Prints Found

Finger prints on the stable door and on the manger may lead to early arrests, officials said tonight. The authorities are investigating all possible clues which may lead to the perpetrators of the crime. The boy’s mother, who is at present staying at a local camping grounds, is unable to account for the affair. She had become prostrated when the boy failed to return to the camping grounds Thursday afternoon, and is at present in a serious condition.

It was suggested that the boy might have been a witness to some other crime and that he was murdered to prevent his telling. No definite clues had been established late tonight, although authorities are making an effort to round up all suspects.

“Without a doubt this it the worst crime of its kind since I came into office as a county official,” Sheriff George said following the discovery of the body. “The nature of the crime is baffling to the authorities, because no certain motive can be established.”

The youth’s body was taken in charge by County Coroner Bailey Finkdiner, pending further investigation.

Western Nebraska Observer (Kimball, NE) Thursday, July 28th, 1921

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s