WEEK 43 2021

Information was received in the city Tuesday that Peter Milan was killed by a falling shed Monday afternoon while working on the Pole Creek ranch, 22 miles north of Cheyenne, which is owned by R. S. Van Tassell. Milan and a man named Tim Murphy were engaged in remodeling a shed on the Van Tassell ranch when the structure suddenly collapsed, catching both men beneath the debris. The accident was not discovered until an hour after it happened, A. R. Jameson, manager of the ranch, being first to arrive on the scene. The fallen timbers and dirt were hurriedly removed from the unfortunate men, when it was found that Milen had been killed and Murphy seriously hurt, though his injuries are such that he will recover. Milan was about thirty years of age, unmarried, and had lived in Cheyenne previous to his being employed on the Van Tassell ranch.

The Wheatland World (Wheatland, WY) Friday, November 2nd, 1894

Brakeman Killed By His Own Train

Cheyenne—Albert J. Carlin, twenty-five, a Union Pacific brakeman, was instantly killed by falling under the wheels of the train upon which he was working. The accident occurred one and a half miles west of Wyoming station. He was literally ground to pieces, his head being completely severed from his body.

Goshen County Journal (Torrington, WY) Thursday, July 16th, 1914


Chappell Register—Dan Walsh, 24, and Herbert Wanneberg, 23, well known young men of the northwest table, were fatally injured yesterday morning in one of the most deplorable auto accidents that has ever taken place in the history of the community. The accident occurred on a hill about a mile and a half north of Chappell, at about 11:30 o’clock, when the Walsh car, in which Dan and his twin brother Dennis, and the Wanneberg boy were en route to Chappell, collided with a wagon loaded with wheat, which was being driven to town by Ed Sisson, also of the north table.

Mr. Sisson was driving down the hill on the right hand side of the road headed toward town, and it is believed that the Walsh car, coming also from the north, in turning out to pass the load of wheat, skidded in loose soil on the roadbed, causing the driver to lose momentarily the control of the car. The vehicle struck the left side of the wagon, swerved across the roadway in front of the team, turned over several times and landed upside down in the ditch at the west side of the road about seventy-five yards from the point at which it struck the wagon.

The running gears of the wagon were broken away by the force of the collision, and the wagon box, containing about seventy-six bushels of wheat dropped into the roadway, spilling little more than a bushel from the load. The car, coming in contact with the weight of approximately 5000 pounds, represented by the combined weight of the wheat and the wagon, evidently received a sort of rebound action which added increased force to its crashing course across the road and into the ditch. It was crumpled up like a cardboard and is a total wreck.

The three young men who were riding in the car were all thrown from their seats, striking the earth fifteen to thirty feet from the car. Dan and the Wanneberg boy fell near each other, at a distance of between ten and fifteen feet from the car. Dennis Walsh, who was driving the car, struck at a distance of about fifteen feet farther down the hill. As by a miracle, however, he was the least severely injured of the three boys, and regained consciousness in a few moments after the accident and assisted rescuers in aiding the other two boys.

Joe Wright, who was en route to Chappell with a load of wheat, and was a short distance behind Mr. Sisson when the accident occurred, rushed to the aid of the boys, and Mr. Sisson, who fortunately was not injured in the accident hurriedly tied his team and ran to do all he could to aid also.

Dan Walsh was placed in the car of Rex Sutton, who came along shortly after the accident on his way home from town, and was rushed immediately to the office of Dr. O’Connor. The Wanneberg boy was placed in the car of E. B. Ekwall, and was hurried to the office of Dr. Coleman. Both boys had sustained severe injuries, and their deaths resulted in a short time following the accident. Dan received injuries about the head and lived but about half an hour, passing away at about twelve o’clock, showing but little sign of life from the time he was picked up. The Wanneberg lad sustained a severe blow on the right side of the head, complicated internal injuries, and possibly a broken neck. He never regained consciousness, and his death came at about 2:15 o’clock that afternoon.

Western Nebraska Observer (Kimball, NE) Thursday, February 7th, 1929


Eating too much sand caused the death of $1000 worth of hogs owned by R. C. Johnson, Saunders county farmer.

The Bushnell Record (Bushnell, NE) Thursday, September 4th, 1919

While taking off his coat in a doctor’s office at Gering to be examined and after just declaring he was feeling better than he had in months, Gene Littler, a resident of Mitchell, suddenly fainted and fell to the floor, suffering a hemorrhage of the lungs that caused his death in ten minutes. He had been suffering from lung trouble and had been released from the hospital as almost cured when he went to the office.

The Telegraph (Sidney, NE) Friday, February 13th, 1925

Judd Wise of Encampment, while breaking horses for Archie Anderson, sustained severe injuries resulting in paralysis from the shoulders down when he was thrown over the head of one of the unmanageable animals, striking on his back.

Hillsdale Review (Hillsdale, WY) Thursday, March 29th, 1917

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s