WEEK 44 2021

John W. Shaffer, a baker of 2223 Thomes Street, committed suicide this morning at his residence by drinking carbolic acid. Mr. Shaffer was in his room when he drank the acid, and a little while later he shot himself with a .22 caliber rifle. The bullet went into the right temple and lodged in the left temple.

It is thought that the agony that he suffered from the burns of the acid caused him to shoot himself. He lingered for about two hours after taking the carbolic acid. There were two doctors in attendance, but all efforts to save the life of the man were in vain, as the bullet that went into his head was fatal in itself.

For some time Mr. Shaffer has been drinking and it is reported that money matters have been worrying him, as he has been having trouble getting the insurance money of his first wife and also some money that was left to his children.

Mrs. Helen Shaffer, who is his second wife, heard the shot of the rifle, but thought at first that Mr. Shaffer had fallen, but upon investigation found her husband lying on the floor in a pool of blood. She noticed the bottle that contained the carbolic acid on the corner of the dresser and the rifle lying on the floor, with the handle all covered with blood. She immediately summoned the doctors, but the man was too far gone to be saved.

The following note was found in the watch pocket of the trousers which Mr. Shaffer wore:

Dear Helen: May God reward you for the wrong I am doing you. I hope you will have it better after this. I know you were satisfied and good hearted.



Mr. Shaffer’s first wife died about a year and a half ago. He was 42 years old. He leaves a wife and a couple of children. The body was taken to the Early undertaking parlors, and the funeral will be held Sunday.

The Wyoming Tribune (Cheyenne, WY) Thursday, August 22nd, 1912

Two men who were alleged to be cattle rustlers were hung by vigilantes four miles from the mouth of White River in Keya Paha county last week. If such work continues, north Nebraska will soon have a great reputation for acts of violence. It is the general result that one violation of the law is followed by others.

The Sioux County Journal (Harrison, NE) Thursday, April 18th, 1895

Mrs. Ed Dolan passed away at 6:15 o’clock Wednesday evening, as the result of a pistol wound, accidentally inflicted several hours earlier in the day. The tragic accident occurred in her home. Mrs. Dolan was busily engaged in preparing her Christmas baking for the holidays season and it supposed that she decided to rest for a few minutes from her work and clean and repair the revolver, as she knew it to be out of order. Mr. Dolan and Paul Ray were in the corral at the time of the accident and Mrs. Dolan was alone. No one heard the report of the pistol, but a little later Mr. Dolan went to the house and discovered his wife in an unconscious condition. Dr. Marshall was hastily summoned and did everything possible, but to no avail. —Pine Bluffs Post

The Telegraph (Sidney, NE) Friday, January 11th, 1924


William H. Marshall, a freighter, met a sudden and tragic death about fourteen miles from Opal near the mouth of Salt creek, when the freight wagon on which he was riding overturned and buried him under several tons of merchandise.

The Burns Herald (Burns, WY) Thursday, January 29th, 1920

Earl Hampton, who two months ago survived an experience that would have killed an ordinary man, has returned to Upton from Omaha, where he submitted to removal of his right leg at a point above the knee. Hampton was injured in a runaway accident many miles from the nearest ranch and was left lying in a foot of snow, with the temperature twenty degrees below zero and with his right leg so badly broken that the shattered bones protruded three inches from the flesh. He encased the wounded leg in a splint of ice and during the ensuing twenty hours crawled seven miles through the snow, finally being rescued by a passing ranchman. His feet and hands were frozen, and for a time it was thought that amputation of all of them, which would have meant death for the patient, would be necessary.

The Golden Prairie Herald (Luther, WY) Thursday, February 25th, 1909

Ernest Leubs, son of Henry Leubs, of Hall county, while herding cattle, was challenged to run a race by the Heubner boys, who were driving a lumber wagon. The saddle turning, young Leubs was caught in the wheels of the wagon, and lived a very few minutes, being very badly mangled. He was thirteen years old.

The Western Nebraska Observer (Kimball, NE) Thursday, September 25th, 1890

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s