WEEK 48 2021

The mysterious disappearance of R. P. Ingalls, a jeweler of Long Pine, coupled with the fact that his wife died a week ago and he bought a razor on the eve of his disappearance, and also that two years ago he tried to commit suicide, has caused alarm at that place and searching parties are working in vain to locate the missing man.

The Alliance Herald (Alliance, NE) Friday, December 2nd, 1904


Mrs. Frank Myrick, living on a farm south of Dix, attempted suicide last Tuesday afternoon by taking carbolic acid, which had been in the house for some time. Mr. Myrick was out working in the field at the time and there was no one in the house but a small son. The boy, seeing the great pain that his mother was in, went to the field and informed his father. The neighbors were immediately notified and a man sent to Dix to telephone a doctor at Kimball. Dr. Myler made the trip in a half hour. By the time the doctor arrived, the neighbors had her practically out of danger by giving her cream and other things to counteract the poison. No reason is known for such an act by Mrs. Myrick; she has a comfortable home and a good husband and family. Mr. Myrick is one of the most prosperous farmers in the county and is well liked by all who know him. The reason will probably never be known outside of the family.

The Potter Review (Potter, NE) Friday, September 3rd, 1915


Julesburg—Reece Weaver, 21, an employee on the Earl Reed farm three miles southeast of Venango, met a tragic death last Friday afternoon when he was crushed beneath a large tractor plow which he was operating. There were no eyewitnesses, but apparently Weaver had slipped and fallen beneath the plow, being knocked unconscious or so badly injured that he could not extricate himself.

Noticing that tractor outfit operated by Weaver was running in a circle at the end of the field, Clifton Newth, who was operating another tractor in a nearby field, shut off his machine and went over to see what the trouble was. Before he reached the machine, the plows sunk in the sod and the tractor was stalled. Upon arriving, he found young Weaver beneath the plow, his head practically severed from his body.

Apparently, Weaver was caught under the plow when it was about 350 yards from the end of the field. With the automatic guide operating it, the tractor continued down the field, dragging its victim along with it, until it reached the end of the field and began the circling movement which attracted Newth’s attention.

Weaver had come this section of the state from near Lincoln, Neb. He had made arrangements to rent a farm near Venango for himself this fall and had announced his intention of locating permanently. He is survived by his father, three sisters, and one brother. Both he and his father had visited a number of times in the Venango neighborhood.

The Western Nebraska Observer (Kimball, NE) Thursday, June 28th, 1928


John Holden, a boilermaker employed in the Union Pacific shops here, was run over by a switch engine in the yards about 9 o’clock Sunday night and instantly killed. Mr. Holden was quite deaf. He was crossing the tracks and jumped from the bumpers between two freight cars directly in front of the switch engine, which passed over his legs between the knees and the thighs. An arm was also cut off. Death was almost instantaneous. The deceased was 65 years of age and had been employed here about four years. He leaves a daughter in Chicago and a son in Iowa.—Laramie Times

The Black Diamond (Carbon, WY) Sunday. April 5th, 1891

One day this week Sheriff Nelson received a letter from G.M. White of the state hospital at Hastings, stating an inmate from Cheyenne County had escaped. The next day a letter came saying the man had returned to the institution after spending the night in a haystack, perfectly satisfied with accommodations at the Hastings Institution after one night out in the cold.

The Telegraph (Sidney, NE) Friday, December 2nd, 1927


As the procession was going from the church to the last Saturday, the horse being driven by Mrs. A. W. Housen became frightened at Rev. Chipp’s auto and ran into an irrigation ditch, throwing Mrs. Housen out and dragging her on the wheel. Miss Cook and the Housen children were thrown out of the buggy in the beet field a short distance farther on. The children escaped without a scratch, Miss Cook was quite bruised up and for a while it was believed that Mrs. Housen was more seriously injured, but fortunately she recovered from the accident without any serious consequences. Joe Emery captured the horse, which escaped any injury.

The Goshen County Journal (Torrington, WY) Thursday, June 14th, 1914

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s