Buy Me A Coffee!!!
Toss your favorite newshawk a clam for a cup of joe, so that I can stay caffeinated and keep bringing you news of the weird.
MASTER GEORGE H. LYON GIVES PARENTS A GOOD SCARE
Last Saturday morning George H. Lyon, young son of Mr. and Mrs. Chas. O. Lyon, climbed upon a chair and reached some tablets containing strychnine, and when discovered had put some of them into his mouth. Mrs. Lyon at once called Dr. H. P. Hansen, who administered antidotes, and the boy recovered none the worse off for his experience. It is not thought the little fellow swallowed any of the poison but some was on his tongue when the doctor arrived. Mrs. Lyon is very careful to place such things where her children cannot reach them, but in this instance Georgie used a chair and reached the medicine anyway. The incident gave all his relatives a good scare.
The Burns Herald 23 Sep 1920
Dramatic circumstances surrounded the wedding Friday at Hyannis of William D. Clark and Miss Myrtle Shawberg. The bride groom, seriously wounded, lay on a cot at the home of Justice Crawford and swooned once during the progress of the ceremony. Scarcely had the judge concluded the final and pronounced them man and wife when ex-Judge Shawberg, the bride’s father, with a crowd of friends stormed at the door for entrance. The angry parent and his companions were denied admission and gave up their efforts to wrest the bride from her husband.
Harrison Press-Journal (Harrison, NE) 9 Oct 1902
FARMER FOUND DEAD
Scottsbluff, Nebr., Nov. 5—A search for Aubrey Givens, farmer, near here, who failed to return home from a hunting trip, ended Monday night when his body was found lying in a weed patch about a mile from his home.
Givens’ shotgun was apparently discharged while he was walking through the weed patch around an irrigation ditch.
Western Nebraska Observer (KImball, NE) 7 Nov 1929
Robbers cracked the safe of the Howard bank at Boelus and got away with between $1,300 and $1,500. Two explosions were necessary to effect an entrance to what was generally considered a burglar-proof safe, both of which were distinctly heard by many of the villagers, but no one took enough interest in the cause to investigate.
Sidney Telegraph (Sidney, NE) 23 October 1897
Ten dead and thirty-six injured are the records of the 1912 football season. Last year, there were fourteen deaths and sixty-seven injured, according to statistics compiled by a Chicago newspaper.
The Laramie County Times (Wheatland, WY) 29 Nov 1912
While attending the institute last week, Mrs. Alexander left Grant to care for the children. While he was repairing a binder at the barn the children were playing at the wood-pile. Missing the children, Grant went to the house to see what they were doing and the little boy met him at the door and told him that his sister was sick and had gone to bed. Grant went in and asked the little one what the trouble was. She said that she had cut her finger and held up her right hand which was minus the first two fingers at the second joint. The children had tied them up and they had scarcely bled at all. The boy had severed the fingers with an ax while playing at the wood-pile.
Hemingford Herald (Hemingford, NE) 9 Aug 1895